I read 147 books this year! Go me! Here is my list of my favorite books that a read!
A Monster Calls By Patrick Ness
– This book will make you cry. I cried….like a lot. This book did a fantastic book with handling Grief and illness. It struck such a cord with me. I felt such a connection with the main character, with everything he was going through. ( i could relate because i went through something similar with my own mother) I just completely Adored this book in every way , shape and form. Honestly it will probably go on my all time favorites list.
Furthermore By Tahereh Mafi
– Whimsical and creative are two ways i would describe this story. It’s very reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland ( the two main characters do actually share the same name). I was very nervous going into this book because at that point i’d yet to read a book by this author and it was also a middle grade book. I was surprised! I really loved it, again the world created in this book was just amazing and i really enjoyed the ending of the book.
Paper Princess By Erin Watt
– I’ve said it so many times and i will say it again! I am complete trash for this book. It’s literally soap opera in book format and i loved every second of it. Now there are three books in the series, The first being paper princess and out of all three it’s my favorite. I will state that there are A lot of problematic themes in this book and i don’t recommend it for anyone under the age of 17 ( it should really be new adult but the characters are still in high school). Like i said i enjoyed my time reading it and I’m kinda sad its done.
The Hate U Give By Angie Thomas
– This book Is more than likely on everyone’s favorites list , and for good reason. This was a fantastic book dealing with and important and controversial topic. I loved the characters that were brought to life in this book. This was one of my Most anticipated books and I’m extremely happy with the fact that i wasn’t disappointed. I’m very excited to see what else this author will have for us in the future.
The Inexplicable Logic of My Life By Benjamin Alire Saenz
– I adored this book. There wasn’t anything that i didn’t like about it. My favorite thing is that its mostly centered around the main character and his love for his family and friends. I really enjoyed that the character didn’t have a lot going on in the romance department and that the author wasn’t too focused on it. I will also let it be known that i liked this a lot more than i liked Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe.
The Last Magician By Lisa Maxwell
– In all honesty, I almost DNF’d this Book. I just couldn’t get into the story, i wasn’t feeling the characters or the writing. I ended up leaving the book alone for a while until i watched regan from peruse project on youtube talk about the book, of course she loved it so i decided to give it another try. I ended up borrowing the audiobook from my library. It was amazing! It took a couple days to get through it and i loved every second of it. I really like the Main character Esta. I will say that this book does have time travel involved , and i felt like it was done really well. Also i completely freaked out at the end. (note to self, never listen to the end of an audiobook at work…on your lunch) i swear i looked like a crazy person in my car, just screaming and yelling. I Highly recommend reading this book or trying the audiobook if you haven’t already.
Our Dark Duet By Victoria Schwab
– This was the conclusion in the Monsters of Verity duology. I loved being back with august, i love him so much as a character. There isn’t too much i can say without spoiling the book. I really enjoyed it, but also victoria took out my heart threw it on the floor and stomped on it with shoes that had spikes ( this isn’t over dramatic at all). She literally killed me with that ending.
A Court of Wings and Ruin By Sarah J Maas
– I can’t even with this book. This book went on my anticipated list immediately after finishing A Court of Mist and Fury. I was so excited to see my favorite characters and read about one of my OTP’s again. I loved it of course but there is a story behind this. I went out on the day of the books release, drove to target and immediately bought the book. I went home and started reading, here is were it got weird. I put the book down around page 265 ( yes it’s marked in my book still) and ended up not picking it back up for another six months . (insert dramatic gasp here) There was no reason why it took me that long to actually finish it. However i made it my personal goal to finish the book before the end of the year and i sure did. There was also ugly crying involved… a lot of it actually, if you’ve read it you can take three guesses of why i was crying. still i loved this book and i can’t wait for the Novella that is coming soon.
Our Dark Duet By Victoria Schwab
– This was the conclusion to the Monsters of Verity duology. It picked up a little while after we last saw our characters. while i was reading i was counting down the moments to see august and kate again! i love this two together. I’m not going to talk a lot about this book just because it is the second book. I will say that victoria schwab ripped out my heart and stomped on it with shoes that have spikes at the bottom. ( that wasn’t over dramatic at all). The ending killed me!
The Casquette Girls By Alys Arden
– This book had been been on my radar for a while and i just hadn’t gotten around to actually picking it up. I ended up getting approved for an ARC for the sequel on Netgalley so i thought it was time to actually pick it up and read it. I really enjoyed the book. It takes place in New Orleans ( which is a very lively place in itself) but its set right after hurricane Katrina. I enjoyed the setting a lot. It is a paranormal book (witches, vampires, wolfs etc) there is also a love triangle . I know a lot of people don’t like this particular trope but i enjoy them, it’s definitely one of my favorite tropes.
The Raven Boys By Maggie Stiefvater
– Initially i was very hesitant going in to this book. It’s a very beloved series in the book community and everyone really seems to like it. Glad to say i wasn’t disappointed. I loved the first book ( i have now read three of them but have yet to read the raven king). I love all the characters. I’m not sure i have a favorite, but I’m kind of leaning towards Noah or Ronan. Overall i can’t wait to read the final book and see how it all goes down.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue By Mackenzie Lee
– I was lucky enough to get this as an advanced copy from my local bookstore. I adored this book. There is a lot of diversity (sexuality wise). The main story takes place in victorian London and is about our main character Percy who is going on his grand tour of Europe before he takes over his fathers business. There is a grand adventure involved. I honestly can’t wait for the next book which is going to be from his sisters point of view.
Wintersong By S. Jae-Jones
– This is supposed to be a labyrinth retelling of sorts. I was very much impressed. I loved this story. I read the entire thing in one sitting ( that initially wasn’t the plan). The story was just so intriguing, the entire plot. A Goblin king and a regular girl just trying to safe her beloved sister. Im extremely excited to read the next book Shadowsong. I was very lucky to get approved for the ARC from Netgalley!
Every Heart A Doorway By Seanan McGuire
– This book is extremely hyped on booktube. Everyone talks about ( all good things ). I Borrowed the copy from my local library and i will say that the hype surrounding you was real. I’m love the entire plot of the story. I will say some of the characters a little…. of putting, that is the best way i can describe it. The main plot is a wayward home for kids who have become the “chosen ones” in their new found world such as Narnia and Wonderland. The kids then come back and have to adjust to their old lives and often find it difficult. Even though this is a very short book (173 pages) it packs a lot into it!
Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda By Becky Albertalli
– Another very buzzed about book in the book community but also very much worth it. I love simon so much. I feel for him a lot. He has a crush on a guy that he’s been emailing for a while but hasn’t met, he has also not told anyone about his sexuality. One of his classmates finds then finds an email between him and this other boy and ends up blackmailing him with it. I loved this entire book, and I’m so freaking excited for the movie adaption Love simon!
So there it is! My favorites list of 2017. There were lots of other books that i really liked this year too but that would make for a majorly long list. These 15 books were the ones that stuck out to me the most when i was creating my initial list. Did anyone else read and love any of these? Are there some that you read that aren’t on here, let me know and i will have to look them up and keep them in mind for the future ( if i haven’t already).